May 19, 2021
Melanie's Blog: School's (Almost) Out
In just a few short days(!), school will be out for the summer. If you’re a parent, you may be thinking “I can’t wait! We’ll have more free time! And, I don’t have to nag my kids about homework for two whole months!” OR, you might be thinking “How am I going to entertain my kids this summer? They’ll complain of being bored on day 2, I just know it!”
So, here are 5 practical things you can do to keep your kids busy and build in some intentional family time this summer.
1. Give them time to create. Make a craft station in your home that is always stocked with interesting craft supplies (maybe change it up each week). Plant a vegetable or flower garden and place them in charge of helping it grow. Throw some old clothes and hats into a “costume bin” and encourage your kids to write plays and perform them for you.
2. Let them explore. Do some fun science experiments (YouTube and Pinterest are your friends!), or go on nature hikes.
3. Play games. Board games, yard games, made up games. Institute a family game night and let everyone take turns choosing the game. Maybe come up with a silly trophy that the winner gets to proudly display in his/her room for the week.
4. Get together with friends. Schedule a meet up at a park or a restaurant. Let your kids enjoy being able to just hang out with their friends this summer.
5. Sign your kids up for Kidventure Camp, which is June 21-24! We're planning an amazing week with your kids in mind. Not only will we pack ALL of the above into four crazy, fun-filled mornings, but we'll also talk with your kids about the confidence that they can have because God loves them, they belong, and they can make a difference. I can’t imagine a better message to give our kids as they finish this crazy school year and look to the next one! Let’s make this summer the BEST one ever!
Whatever it takes,